Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2, 1011

For many years, I practiced nursing in Chicago, loving that city and holding it near and dear to me. Then, an illness struck that required I stop working, but every AM found me online, reading newspapers.

I read a lot, but I was drawn naturally to the latest developments in healthcare. It seemed like not a day went by when there wasn't talk of all the changes in the field. Keeping track of who said what and why became a full time job.

Then, I got bold, dashed of letters to editors that were published. An article pitched to a magazine followed and I was paid. I was a freelancer! So I contacted editors of several nursing magazines: This began a 9 year, quasi-sucessful freelance career. So, yes, it can happen! No writing training under my belt other than college and nursing school and I became a freelancer.


I continue to write, and what do we write about? I'm most comfortable writing about what I know, or researching topics related to healthcare that I may not know. That article on stem cells took every bit of research and "Dr. Google" and the public library got a real workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment